His research interests include coding and information theory, combinatorics, and cryptography.
A. Barg is a Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering with a joint apppointment at the Institute for Systems Research. He is also an adjunct professor in the Department of Computer Science. He received a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from the Institute for Problems in Information Transmission (IPPI) of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow. He has been a senior reseacher at the IPPI since 1987. He was a member of technical staff of Bell Laboratories of Lucent Technologies in 1997-2002 before joining the faculty at UMD.
A. Barg is presently (2005) a member of the editorial board of Problems of Information Transmission and of SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics. He has previously served as an editor for coding theory of the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory.
Honors and Awards
• IEEE Fellow (2008)
• Editorial Board, Advances in Mathematics of Communication, 2006 - present
• Editorial Board, Serdica, Journal of Computing, 2005 - present
• Editorial Board, SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics, 2004 - present
• Editorial Board, Problems of Information Transmission, 1993 - present
• Editorial Board, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 1997 - 2000