- active/nactive/pactive: These are the n+ or p+ ion-implanted, high-doping regions. They have to be contained in an nselect or pselect region to be doped properly in the production.
- Oxide (gate oxide over transistor gates, field oxide elsewhere)/contact(cc) The contact layer connects poly or metal1 to the silicon underneath or poly and metal1 to each other.
- Oxide/via: The via connects metal1 to metal2.
- Oxide/via2: The via2 connects metal2 to metal3.
- Oxide/glass: The glass layer is not a physical layer; its full name is "glass cut" and it indicates where there should be opening in the last passivating oxide layer. Used for creating bonding pads, where the underlying metal should be exposed for wirebonding.