ENEE408G Capstone Design Project: Multimedia Signal Processing
Course Description: An introductory course on multimedia signal processing bringing real-world design experience to students using state-of-the-art multimedia software and hardware. Lectures will provide basic theories and principles on multimedia compression, processing, communications, security, and recognition.
Prerequisite(s): ENEE 420 or ENEE 425
- Understand basic principles and techniques of multimedia signal processing, regarding four major modalities (digital image, video, speech, and audio)
- Understand and carry out a design task related to multimedia signal processing, including determining system specifications; partitioning into design tasks and phases; implementing, testing, and documenting the design
- Ability to communicate the design, in both oral and written ways
- Ability to work effectively as a team
Topics Covered: Outlined in the four design labs below, regarding four major multimedia modalities and their interactions and integrations
Lab Design Projects: There are four design labs elements on fundamental multimedia issues employing the state-of-the-art technologies on digital image, video, audio processing and speech recognition.
- Design Lab 1: Image Processing and Digital Photography
- Color coordinates, visual perception, image enhancement and compression, and digital photography
- Design Lab 2: Digital Video and Multimedia Communication
- Video capturing, motion estimation/compensation, video code, content-based indexing and database, scene change detection, and video conferencing.
- Design Lab 3: Speech Processing and Recognition
- Speech analysis, coding, synthesis, recognition, and speech-enabled human-computer interface.
- Design Lab 4: Digital Audio and Information Security
- Perceptual audio compression, synthetic audio, watermarking, and digital rights management
Final Design Project: This is a team-based project on designing and implementing multimedia signal processing systems. Each student team will emulate a high-tech company that will:
- Develop ideas of a multimedia product and decide on system specifications
- Partition and coordinate the design tasks within the team
- Implement, test, and document the design
- Demonstrate and market the product