ENEE407 RF and Microwave Devices Design & Testing Laboratory
Credit & Contact Hours:
2 credits (50 minutes lecture, 0 hours recitation, 3 hours lab.)
The course consists of design and testing of RF and microwave devices. Designs, simulations and layout of devices are performed using the software package ADS (Advance Design System) from Agilent. Projects include microwave filters, power dividers, couplers, attenuators, impedance matching networks and amplifiers. Wide range of engineering applications including terrestrial microwave links, satellite communications, broadcasting, mobile communications and radar are discussed.
- Learn state of the art design, and testing techniques of RF and microwave devices.
- Designs, simulations and layout of different devices are performed using the software package ADS (Advance Design System) from Agilent.
- Transmission Media: Synthesis, analysis and physical realization of various types of transmission media including coaxial, micro-strip, coplanar, suspended substrate, multilayer structures and waveguides. Transmission line theory and the Smith Chart.
- Dispersion properties of different transmission media
- Microwave Network Analysis: Characterization of Microwave Networks using the scattering parameters. Hands on experience for measuring the scattering parameters of various two port devices using modern network analyzers.
- Microwave Passive devices design, simulation and measurements.
- RF chokes to bias microwave amplifiers, attenuators and impedance matching networks.
- Power Dividers and Directional couplers: Analysis, optimization and simulation of microwave power dividers and couplers: Parallel-coupled and branch line directional couplers.
- Microwave resonators for different transmission media.
- Microwave filters: Low-pass, high-pass and band-pass filters. Realizations in various transmission media, including lumped elements, distributed elements, parallel coupled lines, multilayer structures and waveguides.
- Multiplexers: Combining or separating multiple frequency channels.
- Active Microwave Circuits: Optimum design of input and output matching circuits for power amplifiers. Low noise figure amplifiers design.