- High dimensional statistics and learning
- Compressive Sampling and Sparse Estimation
- Array and Radar Signal Processing
- Statistical Signal Processing
- Tensor Methods
Piya Pal is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park, joining in January, 2014. As of August 2014, she is also affiliated with the Institute for Systems Research. She received her Ph.D in Electrical Engineering from Caltech in 2013 and her B.Tech in Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering from IIT Kharagpur, India, in 2007. During the course of her Ph.D, she developed novel techniques for non-uniform sparse sampling which received Best Student Paper Awards at 14th IEEE DSP Workshop, and 45th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, 2011. Her research interests span compressive and structured sampling, statistical signal processing with applications in radar and array processing, tensor methods, and statistical learning.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, California Institute of Technology: 2008-June 2013
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, California Institute of Technology: 2007-2008
- B. Tech in Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur: 2003-2007
- Piya Pal and P. P. Vaidyanathan, Nested arrays: a novel approach to array processing with enhanced degrees of freedom, IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, vol. 58, pp. 4167--4181, August 2010.
- Piya Pal and P. P. Vaidyanathan, Multiple Level Nested Array: An efficient geometry for 2qth order cumulant based array processing, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol.60, no.3, pp.1253-1269, March 2012.
- P. P. Vaidyanathan and Piya Pal, Sparse Sensing With Co-Prime Samplers and Arrays, IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, vol. 59, pp. 573--586, Feb. 2011.
- Piya Pal and P. P. Vaidyanathan, Correlation Aware Techniques for Sparse Support Recovery, IEEE Statistical Signal Processing Workshop (SSP), 2012, pp.53-56, 5-8 Aug. 2012.
- Piya Pal and P. P. Vaidyanathan, Coprime sampling and the MUSIC algorithm, IEEE DSP Workshop, Sedona, AZ, January 2011
Honors and Awards
2014 Wilts Prize, Caltech
Winner of Everhart Lecture Series, Caltech, 2013.
Best Student Paper Award at IEEE DSP Workshop, Sedona, AZ, 2011.
- Best Student Paper Award (third position) at 45th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, Nov. 2011