- IBM Fellowship, 1981-82.
- Allen B. Dumont Prize, Electrical, Computer and Systems Engineering Department, RPI, in recognition of outstanding academic achievement and substantial contribution to the field, May 1984.
- Presidential Young Investigator (PYI) Award, National Science Foundation, 1987.
- George Corcoran Award for Outstanding Contributions to Electrical Engineering Education, 1986-87.
- Award of Excellence for Design and VLSI Implementation of an Image Compression Scheme, Maryland Industrial Partnership, University of Maryland, 1992 (with Já Já).
- Outstanding Systems Engineering Faculty Award, Institute for Systems Research, University of Maryland, 1993.
- 1995 Texas Instruments DSP Solutions Challenge, American Division Award, "Real-time Implementation of a Wavelet-based Video Compression System." Student Members of the Team: Hamid Jafarkhani, Ruplu Bhattacharya, Jerome J. Johnson.
- Invention of the Year Award (Information Sciences), University of Maryland, College Park, (with Eiji Atsumi), 1999.
- Featured by The Washington Post as one of the "Five to Watch in 2003," Jan. 6, 2003.
- Hidden Gems Award, The Iranian-American Technology Council, Dec. 2003, Washington, DC.
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), Dec. 1983.
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, RPI, Dec. 1980.
- B.S. (magna cum laude), Electrical Engineering, RPI, Aug. 1979.