ECE Computing Facilities Help Desk
Rules and General Information
- All users must apply for an account in order to log in to the Allied Signal and Jasmine computers. Account applications can be found outside of 1449 AV Williams.
- The printers in both labs are pay-for-print. You will initially be given a small print quota with a new login, but extra quota must be purchased separately. Envelope applications can be found outside of 1449 AV Williams.
- A mailing list exists for special announcements concerning Jasmine and Allied Signal. To subscribe to the list, send mail to
with the following command in the body of a message:
- A small home space will be created for each account on the system for file storage. Users can also write in the C:\Temp directory, but that directory can be erased at any time due to system maintenance, so users are responsible for preserving their own files. Some alternatives for file storage:
- Use ftp to transfer files to your Glue account
- Computers in Jasmine have 100 MB Zip drives
- Computers in Allied Signal have LS 120 drives
- If you teach or TA for classes held in either room, you can have your ID card activated to unlock both rooms. Forms to gain access are available outside of 1449 AV Williams.
- During scheduled classes, Jasmine and Allied Signal are closed to everyone not registered in that section.
- During Office Hours, the rooms are open to everyone.
- The Jasmine computer room is open Monday through Thursday from 8:00am to 10:00pm and Friday from 8:00am to 6:00pm except when a class in session. All other hours, Jasmine is only open when a TA is present to monitor the room. When the TA leaves, everyone must leave the room and the door must be closed.
- The Allied Signal computer room is only open during weekdays.
- I strongly encourage all TAs to use the rooms as much as possible! Just remember to leave the door open while you're there so that other students can also use the room.
- There is no eating or drinking in Jasmine or Allied Signal. Smoking is not allowed in any University building.
- Game playing is not permitted in Jasmine or Allied Signal when other users are waiting for a workstations or if it disrupts the work of others.
- ECE Computer Classroom use is subject to the University's Guidelines for the Acceptable Use of Computing Resources. Please read these policies carefully and completely.
- Do not power off the workstations. If there is a hardware or software problem, or if the room needs supplies, contact the ECE HelpDesk in room 1449 AV Williams or call x53689.
- Close all applications and log out of the machine before leaving the workstation.
- The Opnet license manager runs on the Jasmine instructor's machine. This machine MUST be powered up and logged on at all times!
↑ Back to Top