Top Reasons to Apply to ECE @ Maryland
1) ECE @ Maryland is one of the top-ranked Engineering programs in the U.S., respected nationally and internationally by employers and peer institutions.
2) ECE @ Maryland's close proximity to Washington, DC, the nation’s capital & center of federal government activity, provides access to national laboratories, such as NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, the National Institute of Standards and Technology, the National Institutes of Health, and the Army and Navy Research Laboratories.
Did You Know...?
- According to statistics provided by the State of Maryland, there is currently a 44% projected shortage in ECE graduates in Maryland compared to annual openings.
- Despite a growing national demand for their skills, the number of engineers graduating from American universities is going down, according to a survey released by the American Society for Engineering Education.
- Electrical and Computer Engineering are at the top of Forbes' Most Lucrative Majors list.
- According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers Job Outlook Survey, Electrical and Computer Engineering were among the top 5 most “in-demand” majors.
- At University of Maryland, Electrical and Computer Engineering students are the most requested majors for employers conducting campus interviews. In fact, we hold our own ECE Career Fair, attracting 40 big name employers each year.
3) ECE @ Maryland offers cross-disciplinary research opportunities that encourage innovation & collaboration across multiple disciplines, helping students become well-rounded engineers.
4) ECE is a large, diverse, and well-funded department with a broad range of programs and research opportunities, as well as state-of-the-art facilities, including the Jeong H. Kim Building.
5) ECE faculty are internationally-recognized experts in their fields.
6) The Clark School of Engineering encourages students to pursue
entrepreneurial ventures through programs such as Hinman CEOs, Hillman Entrepreneurs, Technology Boot Camp, as well as events like the $75K Business Plan Competition.
7) ECE @ Maryland offers unique and abundant opportunities for internships, cooperative learning, and full time employment with government and industry, who come to campus to recruit ECE majors more than any other major on Maryland's campus.
8) ECE @ Maryland serves the public with research that addresses today’s most urgent global challenges, including energy, healthcare, communications, and national defense.
9) ECE @ Maryland offers small class sizes and personalized attention through advising and mentoring.
10) ECE@Maryland consists of brilliant and accomplished students from all over the world.
About the Department
A Message from the Chair
Meet the Students
Meet the Faculty
Meet the Staff
↑ Back to Top